Many people mistakenly think that once they purchase their holster they don’t need to do any maintenance on it. This is not necessarily true. In order to ensure that your holster stays in optimal shape for many years to come, you must take the time to care for your holster. On the other hand, if you don’t really care about keeping your holster nice for years to come, than this is not important. So – how do you care for your holster?
• Clean your holster as needed. You don’t have to do this each and every day, but when you notice any dirt, dust, or grime, you can wipe it clean with a dampened cloth. After the holster is thoroughly washed, make sure you dry it thoroughly with a cloth.
• Try not to store your firearm in your holster. This can cause damage due to various things like corrosion. If you do choose to store your firearm in your holster anyways, check on your holster on a fairly regular basis to make sure that it remains free of damage.
• Once every 3-4 months or so, it is a good idea to thoroughly clean the holster, even if it doesn’t appear to be dirty. You can do this by taking a wet bar of glycerin soap and washing the holster with it, and afterwards wiping the holster down with a clean cloth. Doing this will keep your holster as clean as possible, and in good shape.
• When storing your holster, make sure it is protected from extreme temperatures. Keep it in a cool, dry area that is free from humidity. This will ensure that no damage from mildew, or other sources, is done to your holster.
• There are some things you shouldn’t do when it comes to caring for your holster. One such thing is submerging it directly into water. Always clean your holster with a damp cloth as opposed to soaking it in water.
Another thing to avoid is sunlight. When holsters are exposed to sunlight and heat for long periods of time, such as when left on the dashboard of a car, they can become deformed, and will have to be replaced.
Caring for your leather holster doesn’t have to be hard, and these little things can go a long way in preserving your holster for years to come. A little washing here and there, along with proper storage, can keep your holster is perfect shape for longer than you’d imagine.